United for Iran advocates for an end to human rights violations in Iran and supports the movement for genuine democratic reform in the country. United for Iran works to raise awareness about human rights abuses and mobilizes pressure on the Iranian government to uphold human rights principles outlined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. United for Iran undertakes programs and campaigns that aim to advance accountability for violations against Iranian citizens and increase the cost for human rights abuses.
Among its policy agenda, United for Iran calls on the Iranian government to:
• Release political prisoners.
• End all restrictions that prevent citizens from accessing information and the Internet freely.
• Reform its laws and practices to adhere to international standards established in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, including the promotion of gender equality; respect for freedom of assembly, expression, and religion; and ensuring freedom from torture, arbitrary detention, and extrajudicial execution.
• Institute electoral and democratic reforms and hold genuine democratic elections open to international electoral observation.
• Establish a moratorium on the death penalty until due process rights are guaranteed and with a view toward joining the global movement toward abolition.
To advance this agenda, United for Iran will pursue the following objectives: contribute to NGO coalition-building and collaboration among organizations that work on human rights promotion in Iran; encourage cooperation by the Iranian government with the international human rights system; and exert international pressure on the Iranian government to carry about the above human rights objectives.
United for Iran is an independent non-profit organization formed in 2009 after the post-election pro-democracy uprising in Iran. The organization’s work has been possible thanks to the generous support of international human rights foundations, family foundations, individual donors and monthly contributors. Foundations include: the Oak Foundation, Open Society Institute, Sigrid Rausing Trust, Mary Weinmann Trust, and William H. Donner Foundation. United for Iran maintains offices in Berkeley, California and Washington, DC and works with a network of activists, organizations, and supporters worldwide.